Dental fear is a condition that exists in many dental patients as they sit or wait to sit on a dentist’s chair. Sedation dentistry can help you overcome your feelings of anxiety and fear. If you come from Calgary and happen to be among persons who experience fear or anxiety when going for dental procedures, Toothworks is a dental clinic you can visit to get sedation dentistry near you.
Definition of Sedation DentistrySedation dentistry is a branch of dentistry that involves the administration of sedatives before and during dental procedures to help patients get comfortable and relaxed during treatments. Dentists in Calgary use sedatives when performing oral care services such as tooth extractions or cosmetic dentistry procedures. Patients who choose to be sedated will have no recollection of the undergone procedure, and neither will they have anxiety or fear in a dental chair.
The Different Types of Dental Sedation
- Nitrous Oxide
- Oral Sedation
- No needles involved – Most people who tend to have fear for a dentist also fear needles. Needles are usually used when IV sedation is being administered. When it comes to this sedation type, all you have to do is take the prescribed sedative orally sometime before the dental appointment.
- Responsive – All though patients under oral sedation feel drowsy, they tend to be responsive and awake during the treatment process and are thus able to clearly listen and properly respond to the dentist’s instructions.
- Administered easily – Of the three sedation types available, pill sedation is the one that’s easily administered because all the patient has to do is swallow the pill.
- Safe – Since the Canadian Dental Association has approved the use of oral sedatives, it is highly unlikely for one to experience any harmful side effects.
- Amnesia – When a strong dosage is given, the patients will barely remember the dental procedure’s proceeds.
- Its effects do not kick in immediately – The effects of nitrous oxide and IV sedation are quickly felt moments after they are administered. This is not the case when it comes to pill sedation, and that is why patients are required to ingest the pill in advance before seeing the dentist.
- A person under this medication cannot drive themselves to the appointment – Patients under oral sedative drugs are not supposed to drive themselves and are encouraged to find someone who will take them to and from the dentist’s office.
- IV Sedation