A common canker sore is a painful mouth ulcer that most people will experience at one time or another. A patch of red skin will become present first, and gradually become more inflamed. A white or yellow spot will develop in the middle. Sufferers need to find canker sore relief to be able to chew and speak properly.
Canker Sore CausesThese bothersome sores are sometimes caused by bad habits, like biting the inside of your lip or cheek. Ill-fitting orthodontic appliances are another culprit. Other times, internal factors come into play, like stress, genetics, and a compromised immune system. But still, these irritating spots are best known for popping up for no identifiable reason. Fortunately, there are effective home remedies for canker sores that you may already have on hand. If you are susceptible to spontaneous outbreaks and need canker sore relief from time to time, consider experimenting with the following easy remedies.
Home Remedies for Canker Sores
- Chamomile Tea: Chamomile is a plant similar to a daisy. It is widely used to promote a calming effect or encourage sleep. This herbal remedy can also help with digestive issues. German chamomile contains an essential oil known as bisabolol or levomenol. This naturally occurring compound is used as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent. Treatment with a chamomile tea bag will help ease canker sore pain and possibly accelerate healing.
- Numbing Spray: Both of the essential oils of peppermint and eucalyptus offer anti-inflammatory properties and protection against infection. They also provide a cooling effect to help ease discomfort. To create a therapeutic spray, start with about two tablespoons of either olive or grapeseed oil and pour into a glass mister bottle. Add 8-10 drops each of the essentials oils and shake very well. Spray directly onto the affected area.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil treatment is one of the best ways to get rid of canker sores. This holistic powerhouse helps reduce inflammation, fight infection and is easy to apply. With either your clean hands or a cotton swab, dab a generous dose of coconut oil directly onto the sore. If you find the oil is too runny, melt one tablespoon of it with about half that amount of beeswax to compose a thicker layer.
- Raw Honey: Honey has been used as a potent first aid salve since ancient times. Like the previous canker sore remedies, it offers an anti-bacterial barrier and anti-inflammatory therapy. Simply rinse your mouth with warm water and then dab a thick layer of honey onto the sore. Repeat two or three times per day.
- Yogurt: Eating yogurt every day can help balance bacteria levels in your mouth. A product of fermented milk, yogurt is often used to help populate the gut with healthy bacteria. An overgrowth of bad bacteria in the mouth may lead to the development of canker sores. It is important to use plain yogurt rich in active cultures. Take in at least one tablespoon three times per day. It can be helpful to take in a full cup serving with a touch of raw honey for added healing benefits.