A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that offers a permanent base to the fixed replacement teeth. It is used on people with problems such as failing teeth, chronic dental issues or missing teeth because it is highly effective and lasts long.
A dental implant is made out of titanium that fuses with bone cells of the jaw with time. The union between the titanium and the jaw forms a durable and secure anchor for the new teeth; therefore, there won’t be any movement or slippage.
With dental implants, you will have zero problems while eating, and you don’t need to repair them regularly.
Parts of The Dental Implants
A dental implant has three parts, namely:
1. The Implant. It is a screw that acts as the root for the new teeth. This is the part that attaches itself to the jaw permanently.
2. The abutment. A permanent connector that holds and supports a set of teeth or a tooth.
3. The crown. It is the tooth’s part that is visible. This part is made out of porcelain or zirconium for good looks and durability.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Some people are not viable for dentures and conventional bridges because of sore spots, gagging or inferior ridges. When getting the implants, there is no need for the neighboring teeth to be prepared since the implants don’t need support from the adjacent teeth. To get implants, you are required to have qualities such as:
- Healthy gums
- Adequate bone that can support the implant
- Regular visits to the dentist’s office and good oral hygiene habits to ensure the health and long-term success of the implants.
Before getting a dental implant near you, you should consult a qualified dentist in Calgary.
Types of Dental Implants
There are two types of dental implants:
1. Endosteal Implants. Most of these implants are fixed into the jawbone through a surgical procedure. The second surgery will be performed after the surrounding tissue is fully healed. The operation is necessary since it helps to form a connection between the original implant and a post. Lastly, your artificial tooth gets mounted onto the post.
2. Subperiosteal implants. This implant is commonly used with patients that lack adequate healthy bone. A metal frame is fixed to the jawbone underneath the gum tissue. The structure becomes more attached to the jawbone as the gums heal. The metal frame has posts that are attached to it where your artificial teeth get fixed.
Dental Implants Work in Two Ways:Bone Retention
Osseointegration is a process through which dental implants connects with the bone. Apart from anchorage, the implants give the bone a quality that aids to retain bone mass. When bone cells move to the micromechanical structure and thread along the titanium implant, a bio-physical connection is formed. The connection locks the implant in the jawbone. This may take a few months to secure.
If a bone is not put into use, it usually wastes away, making it atrophic. By replacing the missing teeth with an implant, it restores the functionality and activity of the bone.Support
Dental implants provide support to artificial teeth in terms of aesthetics and function. When the implant is fully attached to the bone through osseointegration, it can withstand a considerable amount of loading just like healthy teeth or even more.
A prosthesis like a bridge, denture or crown might be restored with the implant as it maintains the restoration giving it the required functional ability.
Missing teeth might make you feel insecure when talking, smiling or eating. It can also lead to oral issues as well. A dental implant is the best solution for restoring your natural smile and also improving your oral health. Plus, some of the insurance companies pay for dental implant treatment.
Toothworks Dentistry is one of the best dental practitioners near you. Our dental office is located in NW, Calgary, and our staff is dedicated to providing with the best care possible. Our main aim is to ensure that you get personalized services that attend to your needs and help you achieve optimal oral and dental health. For our services, call us today and book an appointment.