Are you analyzing teeth whitening treatments to help reinvigorate your smile tainted by discoloration? Professional in-office teeth whitening treatments from the dentist T3R 0R5 are popular cosmetic dental procedures in Canada currently. Unlike home-use systems incorporating low-dose bleaching ingredients, in-office whitening treatments are performed under carefully monitored conditions allowing for safe and pain-free use of higher concentrations of bleaching gel, yielding results visible instantly. In-office teeth whitening treatments, despite their excellence, are expensive and may encourage you to try over-the-counter systems designed for home use. However, it helps if you understand stains on your teeth are best removed by a professional who determines the kind of staining affecting you by evaluating your dental health.
Are You a Candidate for In-Office Whitening Treatments?Your candidature for teeth whitening treatments with the dentist in northwest Calgary is determined by the professional after evaluating your mouth. If you are a victim of tooth and gum hypersensitivity, the dentist will likely recommend take-home bleaching trays with carbamide peroxide at low doses not as potent as hydrogen peroxide. Some kinds of stains are resistant to highly concentrated in-office bleaching ingredients. In such cases, the dentist recommends a supervised routine of intensive at-home bleaching or alternatives like bonding, crowns, or veneers. If your teeth have become transparent with age, you are not a suitable candidate for in-office teeth whitening. The dentist assesses your teeth to determine your candidature before confirming your suitability for the treatment.
Starting The Teeth Whitening TreatmentBefore starting the in-office teeth whitening treatment, Calgary dentists NW give you a cleaning to remove plaque and debris accumulated on the surface and between your teeth. A dental exam is also performed, checking for potential problems like severe tooth decay, gum disease, and cracks. The bleaching ingredients cause varying degrees of irritation if you have any of these conditions. The dentists will likely delay the treatment until the problems are treated. The dentists take images of your teeth to measure their color on a shade guide. The photos provide a benchmark to assess your progress.
The In-Office Teeth Whitening ProcedureRelatively standard routines are followed by teeth whitening in NW Calgary when whitening your teeth. The steps involved are not uncomfortable or painful.
- You have a cheek retractor inserted into your mouth, exposing the aesthetic zone.
- Your gums are painted with a liquid rubber dam or hardening resin to protect against irritation from the bleaching gel.
- The bleaching gel consisting of hydrogen peroxide is applied to the aesthetic zone and left in place for about 15 minutes.
- The bleaching gel is washed off for a new application for additional periods of 15 minutes.
- Some teeth whitening treatments incorporate ultraviolet light focused on your teeth to activate the bleaching process. However, no evidence is available to prove the light improves the bleaching outcome.
- Your teeth are checked between gel applications to determine how they have whitened and whether further bleaching is required.