Reshaping Your Smile with Gingival Contouring
Gingival—or gum—contouring is a treatment often used in cosmetic dentistry. Gum contouring is the process of shaping the gums around your teeth using an advanced dental soft tissue laser. The laser allows dentists to safely and effectively reshape your gums with minimal discomfort, and even allows the healing process to go smoother!
Reasons for Gingival Contouring
This procedure is often performed for a variety of cosmetic as well as health reasons, including:
- Gummy Smile – When a large amount of gum tissue has grown over your teeth, it can create the appearance of small or unusually shaped teeth. Gum contouring can help eliminate the excess gum tissue, revealing more of your natural smile.
- Uneven Gingival Contours – If your gums appear asymmetrical or uneven, gum contouring can help shape the gum tissue to give it a more even appearance.
- Loss of Gum Tissue – If you have lost gum tissue—or have a lack thereof—between your teeth, gum contouring can remove and reshape the gums around the teeth so that you regain that gum tissue in those areas.
- Exposed Root Surfaces – In some cases, the gum tissue rests so low that the surfaces of the roots of your teeth are exposed. With gum contouring, we can reshape the gums in such a way that these areas are covered and protected.
- Deep Gum Pockets – If you have deep pockets in your gums, you are actually at a greater risk for accumulating plaque and tartar, which can lead to gum disease. With gum contouring, you can reduce these pockets as well as your risk for gum disease.
Gingival contouring is a treatment that offers many benefits to patients who seek out and are eligible for this treatment. The procedure leaves long-lasting results, including a healthier, nicer looking smile!